Miejska Biblioteka Publiczna Tadeusz Stępowski in Ostróda started its activity on October 16, 1946. On April 1, 1996, the library was incorporated into the newly established Center for Culture and Sports in Ostróda. In the summer of 1999, the institution gained a new seat in the castle (the southern wing on the first floor). Since 2001, the library has been acting as a district library for the Ostróda poviat. The collections of Miejska Biblioteka Publiczna in Ostróda include albums, chronicles, photographs, maps and atlases.